Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 21, 2008

The widow's mite; A gift from Sonlight


Special Gift for Core Curriculum Purchasers
From John and Sarita Holzman:
Two years ago, Sarita and I visited Israel with a group from our church. We were startled to discover that Israel, virtually alone among the Mediterranean nations, permits the sale of ancient coins recovered from archaeological sites. As one shopkeeper explained, "There are so many sites in this country, you can dig almost anywhere and you will fi nd antiquities."
This past summer, with memories of our trip to Israel in mind, we asked the Palestinian Christians we met in Bethlehem if they could find enough ancient Roman mites to create pendants that we could give our Core customers.
You may recall the story of Jesus watching people put gifts into the temple treasury. Then a poor widow comes along and puts in two small coins. — Those small coins were mites.
"I tell you the truth," [Jesus] said, "this poor widow has put in more than all the others. All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on." (Luke 21:1-4)
It took our friends a while to get back to us. We worried whether there would be enough of these coins to meet our needs. And we wondered if an order as large as ours might so overwhelm the world market that the price for these coins would rise beyond our ability to pay. Happily, our friends were able to find the coins we needed and they promised to insert them in sterling silver bezels to make the pendants we wanted at a price we could afford.
And so now you can get your own 2,000-year-old "Widow’s Mite" in a silver pendant for FREE...with the purchase of any Sonlight Core, CorePlus or CoreUltra program.
Please Note: Each 2,000-year-old coin is unique, so yours will look slightly different from what you see in the photo below.

How amazing is this? I am a long time SL user and have always loved this curriculum. It is challenging and is really providing my children with an excellent education. I recently ordered Core 530, The Survey of British Literature for Morgan. She wants to be able to take the AP Literature exam and this is by far the best curriculum I have seen. When I received my "box", as if it is not exciting enough, I found an envelope tucked neatly to the side. On the outside of the envelope it said: A gift for you, Mom. Please open in a quiet moment. I was brought to tears as I read the story behind the pendant. This was given to me to commemorate the loving sacrifices I make daily to teach my children. Sonlight is truly a blessing to our lives. Though we have never met, we consider John and Sarita a part of our family. A big thanks to them for all of the time and effort they continue to put into this excellent curriculum.

Sonlight

3 comments:

Daisy said...

That's so neat! I keep looking at Sonlight but I just cannot give up my R&S. I need to revisit it because I think my Kinder and 3rd grader would love the books. Right now I just pick and choose from catalogs and we read, read, read. Thanks for sharing with us today.

my5wolfcubs said...

You make me want to go buy Sonlight right now! What a beautiful necklace and story behind it...
Lee (from the WTM board)

Lisa~ said...

How cool is that! Not just the widow’s mite, but that you went to Israel!!

My mom and I have been talking and wanted to go with a group being organized with Kay Arthur! I just can’t afford it! :( I would love Togo...

What a wonderful thoughtful gift.... very nice gift...